Favorite Guitar Solos

Are you the type of person that has music playing in your head at all times?  Can you a hear song in your mind just as well as if it was playing out loud?  I can.  Drives me nuts sometimes but it's just the way my brain functions.  When I open my eyes each morning - I never know what will be playing in my head.    This morning it was "Heartbreaker" by Led Zeppelin.  It wasn't the beginning of the song - it was the guitar solo (which is about midway through) .    I thought, man- excellent solo by Jimmy Page.   I started thinking about guitar solos that have really stuck out to me.  Some songs can go from good to great due to an outstanding guitar solo.  I thought of other songs in which the guitar solo literally makes the song.   So, Ive decided to list some of my fave guitar solos this morning.  Mind you, this doesn't include songs that are nothing but a guitar solo (an example being "Eruption" from Van Halen).   It has to be a regular song that contains a guitar solo.  This is what I have come up with, and I should add, there is no special order.  OK, here we go:

1. "Heartbreaker"

Pagey knocks it out of the park with this solo

2. "Voodoo Child"

It's not just the guitar solo in this one, its the entirety of the guitar work.   Jimi Hendrix shines.

3. "Jane"

This one may not be too well known.  It was a 1979 release by Jefferson Starship.  The guitar solo is out of this world

4. "Money"

From David Gilmour and Pink Floyd.  Gilmour has produced several memorable guitar solos.  This one happens to be my personal fave.

5.  "Stone in Love"

Another one that may not be too well known.  Its from Neal Schon and Journey.   The whole second half of the song is Schon's guitar solo and its fantastic.  The solo completely makes the song.

6.  "Shock Me"  live version

I had to come up with a live guitar solo and this one is my fave.  From Ace Frehley off the LP "Kiss Alive 2"

7. "Hotel California"

This one is similar to "Stone in Love" in that the entire second half of the song is guitar solos (plural in this song).  Joe Walsh and Don Felder put together the guitar work.  I think this is an example of a good song turned great due to the guitar solo.

8. "The End"

I love this one because it's 3 solos going on at the same time.  John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison trade licks.  Outstanding!

9. "Reelin' in the Years"

This is a Steely Dan song that was released in 1973.    There is no question about this one, the guitar solo makes the song

10. "Jesus is Just Alright"

This was released in 1972 by The Doobie Brothers.  This is a song where the guitar work is memorable throughout the entire song.  The solo, though a bit brief, is terrific.


And there you have it, the 10 guitar solos that are on my mind this morning.   I'd love to see some comments.  I may have missed a few so please join in.....     

Comments

  1. All of yours are great, here are a few of my favorites.

    Freebird: Gary Rosington, Allen Collins and Ed Hall of Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Texas Flood: Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Cocaine: Eric Clapton
    Running Down a Dream: Tom Petty, Mike Campbell, and Scott Thurston of the Heartbreakers
    Green Grass and High Tides: The Outlaws
    La Grange: Billy Powell of ZZ Top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT didn't accept my profile, this is Guenthar

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Most Inefficient Team in all of Professional Sports.......

The Best Player in Major League Baseball....