The Starting Quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022 - Any Suggestions?

Mason Rudolph: I think I can be the guy next year and that's my plan -  ProFootballTalk 

 

 

As the title says - does anyone have a suggestion as to who should be the starting QB for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022?   As far as what Mike Tomlin has planned for 2022 - no one knows for sure.  He's waffled between Mason Rudolph, drafting a QB, and possibly signing a free agent.  This is the way to do it, you never want to tip your hand. Tomlin certainly hasn't.  Even us Pittsburgh residents (I actually live 20 miles outside the city) have no idea who will be behind center in '22.   However, anyone can suggest and that is what I'm going to do in this article.

First up, Mason Rudolph.  Well, I don't like him.  He is very disconcerting.  He's had opportunities.  He has started games.  He has gone into weeks knowing he would be starter.  In other words, he was prepared ahead of time, much unlike an injury occurring and being thrown into a game.   He's been around for four years.  All of that seasoning, all of that preparation.  Well, I can tell you this - I watched him start against the Detroit Lions in 2021.   This guy has made no strides.  He looked just as lost and uncomfortable as he did as a rookie in 2018.   I kept saying to myself  "Mason, what have you been doing for the last 4 years?".  There was nothing in that Detroit game that made me think Mason Rudolph is the answer for the future.   Which brings us to....

Two other options, Dwayne Haskins and drafting a QB in 2022.  These are complete unknown quantities.  Haskins hasn't done much of anything as a  pro and drafting a QB, for the most part, is the same a flipping a coin.  You have no idea for sure how a college QB will do in the pros.  This plus no one seems to be crazy about any of the college quarterbacks coming up this year.  Personally, I'll take a  pass on both of these options and I'll explain why.  The Pittsburgh Steelers have some good young talent on offense,  Najee Harris and Pat Freiermuth are terrific.  I'd love to see what Chase Claypool and Diontae Johnson can do with a QB that can throw more than 15 yards.  I'd also like them to resign Ju Ju Smith-Shuster.  Ju Ju is the guy that will get you 10-12 yards when you need it.  Great hands, big guy, good blocker.   Now, take that talent, and go offensive line in the draft.  I'd use my first two picks on the best offensive lineman I could get.  But that still leaves QB open, so what do you do?

Personally, I don't like trades.  I hate giving up draft capital.  That leaves only one option, a free agent.  Pittsburgh has over 30 mil to shop with this year.  Who do you buy?  The guy I want to see come to Pittsburgh is Jameis Winston.  Now this is assuming he is 100% healthy.  If he is, then he's the guy.  Everything about him is right.  He's got the big body.  He's mobile. Great arm.  Experienced.  In his prime.  Plus extremely well coached the last couple of years under Bruce Arians and Sean Payton.   He's an Unrestricted Free Agent.  If I can make a deal, he's the guy I go after.  And that's it, my suggestion for "The Starting Quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022" is Jameis Winston.  How about you? Do you have a suggestion??? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Guitar Solos

The Most Inefficient Team in all of Professional Sports.......

The Best Player in Major League Baseball....