Exceptional Acting Performances




Sometimes, not very often, but on occasion a performance by an Actor or Actress will stand out. Meaning it goes beyond just a starring or costarring role in the film. The performance will stand alone above all others in the film. It will stick in your mind for a good while. The last couple of days I’ve given this topic some thought. Which acting performances stood out to me? Which ones stuck in my mind? Or better yet, which performances were exceptional? These are the performances I came up with:

 1. Daniel Day-Lewis in “My Left Foot”

 This film came out in 1989. Although Day-Lewis had been around for a few years at that point, this was the first time I’d ever seen him. I was completely taken aback. I thought it was one of the greatest acting performances I had ever seen. I called my Father the next day and told him Day-Lewis would win the Academy Award for Best Actor. Turns out I was right.

 2. Denzel Washington in “Training Day”

 Although I made no predictions on this one, Washington did win the Best Actor Oscar. This is a performance I didn’t completely appreciate until I saw the film a couple of times. Denzel’s performance is so good you can’t tell until it’s finally revealed that his character is corrupt. Denzel Washington has produced several terrific performances in his career but I believe this is the best. The range he shows in “Training Day” is incredible.

 3. Robin Williams in “Good Will Hunting”

 When this one came out, 1997, I had no idea Robin Williams could be a serious actor. Any doubts of his abilities are quickly erased in “Good Will Hunting”. His first scene with Will (played by Matt Damon) shows how good Williams is. I was glad he won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this performance. There was good competition that year — Burt Reynolds in “Boogie Nights” and Greg Kinnear in “As Good as it Gets”. Both very good but not as good as Robin Williams.

 4. JK Simmons in “Whiplash”

 Since this movie came out relatively recently (2014) I don’t think it’s necessary to describe how good Simmons was. I’ll just say that when he won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor I felt it was one of the most deserving victories in Academy Award history.

 Has there ever been an acting performance that really stood out to you? If so, please post…..

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Guitar Solos

The Most Inefficient Team in all of Professional Sports.......

The Best Player in Major League Baseball....