Working out at 53

Yes, I am 53 years old and yes I still work out.  I do some form of exercise every single day of my life.  I've been involved in some kind of exercise program since I was 16.   This isn't particularly relevant, what I do think is relevant though and may be helpful to other individuals out there that are physically fitness minded as myself, are the changes that need to be made as you get older.

You must change your routine as you get older, its as simple as that - if you dont, you will end up hurting yourself.  I have found I can basically do all of the same things I did as a young man - the only difference is Ive changed how I do it.  So, I will explain the differences.

Weightlifting:  As a young man I lifted weights every other day.  I lifted year round.  As the year would go on I would increase the amount of weight I was lifting.   I did many different types of weightlifting exercises (all for upper body strength), always going for 3 sets of ten with each.  I also did chin ups and dips.  Today my program is completely different.  I only lift weights 6 months a year.  I  do 4 different types of exercises, each one designed to keep my upper body firm and toned (no chin ups or dips).  I use lighter weight and do 4 sets of ten with each exercise.  I only lift twice a week.  And lastly, I don't increase the amount of weight - it remains the same for the entire 6 month period of weightlifting that I currently do.      I have found this works for me at 53 because what happens is I maintain a muscular lean look.  That's what I do it for now, to maintain what I already have.  The biggest key though, is I never get hurt.

Sit ups and reverse leg lifts:  As a young man, I did these exercises on my off days from weight lifting, year round .  Now I do it the other six months of the year after I do six months of weightlifting.  Even at 53 I manage to do these exercises every other day.  In my youth, 5 sets of 60 sit ups and 5 sets of ten reverse leg lifts.  The reverse leg lifts are fantastic for your buttocks - makes them really tight.  Now I do 4 sets of 40 sit ups and 4 sets of ten reverse leg lifts, and as I said, every other day.   I've had no problems doing this and have never gotten hurt.

Aerobic exercise:  I never really got into aerobic exercise.  There were times as a young man I'd jog a couple of miles now and then, but never steady.  As I got into my late 30s, I started walking a couple of miles, but once again, I was never consistent with it.   This is part of my program that has completely changed at 53.  What I do now is a one mile walk, at a brisk pace, every single day.   Come rain, snow or shine, I make sure and do it.  My studying has indicated this is the best form of exercise for someone in their 50s.   And once again, like the other parts of my current exercise program, Ive never gotten hurt doing this.

And that concludes my current exercise program.  The program of a 53 year old man.  I have to say it has worked for me because I remain fit and toned and haven't gained an ounce in my old age.  I hope this information will help others that are finding it difficult to maintain an exercise program at an advanced age.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Guitar Solos

The Most Inefficient Team in all of Professional Sports.......

The Best Player in Major League Baseball....