The Best Solo Work of The Beatles

The Beatles were a huge phenomenon of the 1960s.  They came to America in 1964.  They officially broke up in 1970.  In reality though, they stopped recording together in 1969.  The last session with all 4 Beatles working together as a unit was in August of that year.  What I find most interesting about The Beatles is their sustainability.  Generation after Generation finds this band.  Having been born in 1965, the first musical experiences I can remember were in the early 1970s.   At that point in time, The Beatles were trying to establish themselves on their own, as solo artists.   As the 1970s wore on, Paul McCartney clearly stood out.  He had massive success on his own and with Wings.   The other 3 guys weren't nearly as relevant or successful as McCartney.     It wasn't until the late 1970s that I discovered The Beatles as a unit.  My sister started buying their albums.  The first two she brought home were compilation albums of their best work, "The Beatles 1962-1966" and "The Beatles 1967-1970".     I became an immediate fan.   Big enough that I soon started buying Beatle albums myself.  By 1980 I had the entire collection.  I became one of the "Will The Beatles ever Reunite?" hopefuls.   Unfortunately, any hope for a reunion ended with the death of John Lennon in December of 1980.  So, for me, I missed the boat on The Beatles as a band.  I grew up knowing them best as solo artists.   I thought about that over the weekend and considered Beatle solo work.  Which songs were the best?   I have come up with ten I think stand above the rest.  There is no particular order.  It's just a list of what I believe to be the best solo work of The Beatles:  

"Band on the Run" - Paul McCartney

"Photograph" - Ringo Starr

"My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison

"Imagine" - John Lennon

"Uncle Albert, Admiral Halsey" - Paul McCartney

"Give me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth)" - George Harrison

"#9 Dream" - John Lennon

"Live and Let Die" - Paul McCartney

"Mind Games" - John Lennon

"Let 'Em In" - Paul McCartney and Wings


As with any list, my choices are subject to debate.   I welcome any comments.......



Comments

  1. I saw them at the Cavern in 62 they had just got back from Hamburg , pete best was the drummer .
    They were raw and rough but Brian Epstien took over and they became the best band in the world .
    George Martin was mainlt responsible for making them stars. Ringo joined in august 62.
    People like me who saw them in thoses days could not believe it .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Favorite Guitar Solos

The Most Inefficient Team in all of Professional Sports.......

The Best Player in Major League Baseball....